Friday, July 13, 2012

Another Friday, and I'm seeking advice....

Hello, my FWF peeps!  I have several things to share with you this week.  I got some Copic markers early in the week, watched a video or two on shading and light sources, and I want advice on how I'm doing with my coloring.  Be critical, please, that's why I'm asking!  I can't learn if you don't tell me what to do differently.  Here's my Unity for this week:

 

These first 2 cards use Bazzill cardstock, EP Springtime paper, and ribbon from Really Reasonable Ribbon.  The flower stamp is by Stampendous.  I chose it because it seemed like a good stamp to try some shading on.  The "celebrate" sentiment is from a Unity grab bag I won here on FWF!!  The birds on a branch stamp is the 6/10 kit of the month.  "Party" is a CTMH sentiment.  Spellbinders were used on both cards. One question I have for you Copic experts is how to get some real light shading behind my image? Are there particular colors that work well for this?

With this card, I was experimenting to see what happens if you use Copic markers on an embossed image.  The 4-tiered cake is embossed with gold embossing powder.  It seemed to work OK to color over the embossing.  I didn't bleed like I thought it might.  The paper is MME Lush 2. I didn't bling it up because it was for my father's 82nd birthday, and he's a simple kind of guy.


There's no Copics on these last 2 cards.  I paper pieced the lamp shade.  I used the doily, hoping it looked like curtains in a home.  These 2 cards are similar to one I entered in an Ippity Challenge this week.  I'm using them for thank you cards for the many great birthday gifts I received. 

Paper is Authentique Blissful 6x6 pad.  Stamp is a SOTW.  A copper Viva Decor pearl pen was also used, and Really Reasonable ribbon.

Thanks to all of you for the well wishes on my birthday last Friday.  Thanks for any new advice you have for my Copic learning.  You've been very helpful so far!  I've had some fantastic advice from FWF.

23 comments:

  1. Julie, from what I see on my screen, you did a GREAT job blending your colors on the 1st 2 cards. As for the 3rd one, I'm having a hard time seeing the embossing, so I don't feel right in critiquing it . . . though I think it looks good. And the last two cards are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job! It is hard to see the embossing on the cake card, but I like that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cards :) I'm not a Copic expert,and I don't really have any advice to offer, but I think your coloring looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did great with your copics. I too am no expert, but what I see looks great. I see some bleeding out on the birdies, but on smaller images I know that is hard to stop. With more usage, you'll get a feel of the right touch and how much pressure to apply and how much color to actually lay down. I really love how the blue vases look.

    One thing I love to do to help my images pop, is to add a border (shading) around the image with a grey (C-1, W-1, and even my pale, pale blues BG00, B-00). I just outline my image. Then I fade to white (feathering out with my grey or blue marker. If you visit my blog and look at my coloring you'll see what I mean), out from my image, too. Keep practicing, but looks like you've got a GREAT start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all of your cards! I have some unopened Copics and can't give advice but I think your coloring looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your coloring is wonderful!
    very pretty cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards! All I know about shading is from an art class. It's lightest at the light source. Maybe if you took a flashlight to an object just to see how the shading looks? Anyway, congrats on your win from my blog last week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cards! I have no advice about coloring :( I know nothing other than to me it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to get Copic markers! I don't have any yet, so I don't know if I can give you any advice. I think your coloring is awesome!! I love the jars with flowers. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Your cards So beautiful! love the jars with flowers. your colors are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are doing a great job. I can't give you much advice because I'm not much of a colorer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NIce coloring.... Keep practicing so you don't feel you have to ask for any advice. Look like you are a natural. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You cards are beautiful. My favorite is the birds singing on the branch--adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is quite a line up of projects! I enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of your cards are very nice I love your coloring

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cards! Unfortunately I can't offer you any advice on the Copics, as I do not have any yet. Yet, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am completely Copic illiterate, so I can't help there, but I think what you've done is gorgeous! And that lamp card is super cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your cards are beautiful. I think that you did a wonderful job coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am terrible at coloring/shading, I've got to say - but I think the shading you did on the vases is spot-on! They glow :) Love the cheerful colours on all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cards are lovely. As for coloring with copics, if you can get a copy of the shadows and shading book, it has templates that are really useful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous cards! I think you are doing an awesome job with coloring! Your light sources are consistent and your shading looks fantastic too! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete