Monday, May 1, 2017

Happy Mother's Day -- for Path of Positivity Challenge Blog

Happy May, fellow crafters!  I'm so excited to share with you about this month's challenge at the Path of Positivity Challenge blog.  It starts today and runs all month. This month's theme is "present, not perfect."  This can be interpreted a number of ways.  Ever had someone close to you get sick, or a loved one die, and you didn't know how to reach out to the sick one of the ones left behind?  Often, being present is enough.  You don't need to say the perfect thing.  Just be there for them.  Present, not perfect.  This can also apply to our art.  Afraid to try new techniques because they look too hard?  This is your chance!  Present, not perfect!  Just try, perfection is not required!  (see below)

One of our sponsors this month is Imagine That! Digistamp.  I always love working with the wide variety of images available in the Imagine That! Digistamp store.  Today, I have a card I created using the Daffodil digital stamp set.


I tried a new-to-me coloring medium on this card, watercolor pencils.  I have had a few in my possession for years, but recently branched out and bought more colors.  This was my first attempt with them.  I found it more difficult to get the contrast I'm used to.  The colors kept washing out on me.  Maybe that's why it's called watercolor?  I didn't have a light blue pencil, so used a blue from a very inexpensive watercolor set for the wash around the daffodil.  I had a lot of trouble with this 'wash' technique.  I don't know if my lack of skills, the brushes I have, or the paint I used, but I wasn't pleased with the results.  That's why this month's theme is great.  Present, not perfect!

Papers on this card are from MHKDesigns and are digital.  I used a Spellbinders card creator set, a sentiment from Close To My Heart, and tried Nuvo Crystal Drops for the first time.  I wasn't totally happy with those either, but I think there might be a learning curve with those, too. 

I hope you can join us this month at the Path of Positivity for our "Present, not Perfect" challenge.  It's the perfect opportunity to try something new!  You have until June 4 to join in the fun!


2 comments:

  1. Julie I just love that Imagine That image. I really live what you did with the card and think you are more critical on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the yellow and blue together! Perfect papers for the image.....uh, sorry for that perfect word this month! hahaha Great interpretation of the theme; watercolor is a difficult technique for me, also! You got some lovely results!

    ReplyDelete