Friday, May 30, 2014

I'm Showing My Stripes for Friends With Flair!

It's Friday, and we have LOTS of end of the school year things happening at the nursing home this week.  Today, our pen pals are coming from a neighboring town.  They are in 4th grade.  They write us letters all year, and visit several times each year.  Today is the final visit.  It's so fun to see their writing skills improve as the year progresses.  The high school choir is also coming over today to perform for us.  Again, by the end of the year, they sound so GREAT!  We love the community involvement!
Oh, but back to Friday.  And Friends with Flair -- my Friday tradition.  I have a confession.  I have trouble using striped paper.  Patterned paper -- no problem.  Dots -- love it. Flowers -- bring 'em on.  But stripes?  It's the last paper I reach for every time.  So, to challenge myself.  I chose a piece of striped paper FIRST and made myself compose a card around it.  Here's what I made:

I used two Unity Itty Bitty stamps on this card:  "A Lovely Butterfly Day" for the sentiment, and a Stamp of the Week, "A Floral Hello".  I colored the image with Copic markers, choosing bright colors to match that striped paper.  I wrapped some of my favorite Timeless Twine around the striped layer in Simply White Timeless Twine. Then, I added a layer of dot paper, just to make me feel more balanced.
Papers are Echo Park Dots & Stripes.  Anyone need some striped paper? I've got more!
Enjoy your weekend!

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic card using striped paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Julie!! Love the twine tied at the side too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet & simple, I LOVE it and the white twine is the perfect touch

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks Gorgeous, Julie!! Love the bright flowers and the twine. What a great program to have 4th grade pen pals - I'm sure their visit will bring much joy. Have a wonderful weekend, my Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty card, the stripes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE that you gave yourself a personal challenge, that is so great! your stripes look great and very fitting for your gorgeous card!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgamous. Is that a word? It is now! Just love the flowers and twine. Pretty great design overall. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you win the grand prize in my book. This is so pretty. Things like this is my style lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such cheerful flowers along with the stripes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute card! Love this bright flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great card, Julie! I am on the opposite side of the fence from you. I love striped paper! I have to talk myself out of using it on every card. I think that it helps move the eyes from the top to the bottom or from left to right.
    I'll bet you all had a lovely day. One of my daughters' Girl Scout troops did a pen pal project with a senior center.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card Julie! You should use stripes more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. U Go Girl, with that striped challenge! You created a lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful card! Sounds like a lot of fun things are happening over there - what a great idea to have pen pals, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You struggle with stripes? Who knew you had any struggles in the creative department?! I never would have guessed by the creations you share. This is super pretty, Julie and wow, so much going on in your world. You are something else!

    ReplyDelete